Enter Title


Open burning is allowed between March 30 and May 30 and between September 15 and October 30.

Please review the city’s ordinances title VII chapter 4 concerning outdoor and open burning regulations, to see if you are eligible to burn. If you feel that you meet the requirements then visit the Utah Department of Environmental Quality web site and apply for a burn permit. http://www.airquality.utah.gov/  

Farm and horticultural operations may burn as established under current law and air quality rules. In Davis County, a farm or horticultural operation is defined as:

1) Fruit orchards of 20 or more fruit trees on a continuous two acre parcel of property, or

2) Agricultural activities of 2 or more cultivated acres on single or contiguous parcels of property.

They may only burn products incident to horticulture or agricultural operations, defined as: prunings, diseased plants, stubble and irrigation ditch banks.

Important notes:

- Open burning shall not be conducted within 50 feet of any structure or other combustible material. Conditions which could cause the fire to spread within 50 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.

- Owners are required to have some type of fire–extinguishing equipment readily available.

- Burning material shall be constantly attended. All open burns are required to have an attendant supervising the burning material until the fire has been extinguished.

Recreational Fires

Recreational fires are permitted by Local Ordinance, as long as fires are used solely for cooking, ceremonial, or recreational purposes where such fires do not create a nuisance and are under the control of a responsible person (18 years or older) and there is some type of fire–extinguishing equipment readily available (garden hose connected to a water supply or similar.)  

Local Ordinances are as follows: The fire has to be contained in an approved fire pit that has a total fuel area of 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height. The fire pit has to be 25 feet away from any structure and 10 feet from any property line. The Syracuse Fire Department recommends that you call the Fire Department on the days/nights you plan to have a recreational fire to find out the burn index for the day.