Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program Environmental
Environmental Division
Household Solid Waste

Household waste and green waste recycling is collected once a week. Collection days are dependent upon geographical location inside the city. Green waste is collected between April 1 through Nov 30, which includes outdoor green waste that decomposes into compost. On the months that green waste is not collected, the green can may be used for household solid waste. Both the green and black cans are picked up on the same day. See the collection map for the day it is picked up on your street.
Collection Map

To sign up for service, contact our Utilities Department. Additional information is found here:
Utilities Department Page 

Residents are also able to take waste directly to the landfill for a small fee. See the following links for additional information:

Landfill and Waste Incinerator Information

Household Hazardous Waste

Storm Water

Emergency and illicit discharge reporting Hotline: 801-643-5775

Did you know that one of the best and simple ways to improve curb appeal to your home is by removing the overgrowth, sediment, and debris that collects in the curb and gutter over time?

Doing so, not only enhances the appeal of your home making it attractive, but also helps to keep our storm water clean before entering the pipes and ditches that empty into our Great Salt Lake. Clean gutters also improve water flow and prevents water ponding that often times leads to moss growth during hot conditions. Clean gutters also helps to reduce deterioration that occurs to our roads, thereby helping to extend the life of our roads.

Incorporating this simple practice into our routine yard maintenance will help to make our city a more attractive, clean, efficient, and healthy place to live!
Storm Water Activity Permit is required on all sites where land disturbance is one acre or larger. 

2016 Storm Water Management Program
Inquiries handled by Robert Whiteley, 801-825-7235

Illicit Discharge and Erosion Control Ordinance (scroll to Chapter 8)

Syracuse City is a member of the Davis County Storm Coalition. 

Please contact public works department if there is any suspicion of a possible sewer back-up and if you have had your sewer lateral cleaned. Emergency Hotline 801-643-5775

Help keep Fats, Oils & Grease from clogging the sewer pipes!

A Little Grease Can Cause Big Problems!

Grease can enter the sewer system at virtually any point, including your kitchen sink.  You might think that it can’t do any harm to allow a small amount of grease to go down the drain as you’re cleaning up, especially if you rinse with very hot water.  But hot water cools quickly, and so does hot grease.  When it cools, it solidifies.  Imagine that tiny amount of grease that slips down your drain multiplied several thousand times solidifying as it cools, sticking to the insides of sewer pipes, trapping food particles and all kinds of other debris in the waste-water.  Over time, this messy mass can grow until the flow of water is obstructed and sewage begins to back up.


Where does grease come from?

Most of us know grease as a byproduct of cooking.  Grease is found in such things as:

Meat Fats, Lard, Cooking oil, shortening, 

Butter, margarine, Food scraps, Baking goods, Sauces, 

Dairy Products. 

Home garbage disposals do not keep grease out of the plumbing system.  These units only shred solid material into smaller pieces and do not prevent grease from going down the drain.


The results of a grease blocked sewer pipe can be:

·    Raw sewage overflowing in your home or your neighbor’s home.

·    An expensive and unpleasant cleanup that often must be paid for by you, the homeowner.

·    Potential contact with disease-causing organisms.

Here are a few steps you can take to help prevent this problem:

·    Do not put dairy products, fats, oil, grease or greasy foods down the garbage disposal or drain.

·    Freeze small amounts of fats, oils and grease in a lidded container and dispose of it in a trash receptacle.

·    Mix small amounts of cooking oil with an absorbent material such as cat litter or coffee grounds, place it in a lidded container and dispose of it in a trash receptacle.

·    Wipe additional grease from pots, pans and plates with a paper towel before placing them in the sink or dishwasher.

Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if sewer backs up in my home?
If sewer backs up in a basement floor drain (or the lowest drain in your house), call the Public Works Department 801-825-7235 during business hours or 801-643-5775 after hours. Our Environmental Division can help you understand what needs to happen to correct the problem.

Why should I call the Public Works Department first?
The Public Works Department will send someone to your home to check the city's main sanitary sewer for a blockage. If the city's main is blocked, the Public Works Department will clear it at no expense to you. If you call a plumber before you call the Public Works Department, the plumber's fee will be your responsibility even if the blockage is in the main sewer.

What if the cause of the backup is not in the main sewer?
If the cause of the backup is somewhere in the service line that connects your home to the main sewer, it is the responsibility of the property owner to hire a licensed plumber to clear the blockage.

Is the cost of clearing a blockage in the service line the homeowner's responsibility?
It is the property owner's responsibility, whether the blockage can be freed by power-rodding or by a repair. If a repair to the house connection is necessary, the owner must hire a licensed contractor to perform the work, under permit from the city. In short, any service line problem that prevents the homeowner's sanitary sewer flow from entering the public main line is the property owner's responsibility. If the homeowner's lateral has a previous history of root problems, the Public Works Department's Environmental Division should be notified so we may video inspect the public main line.

Should I notify the Public Works Department if I hire a plumber to perform work on my sewer lateral?
The Public Works Department must be notified with any work that is performed on the sewer line. This will help you be sure that your downstream sewer flows remain free for blockages that may have been pushed out of your sewer lateral into the main line.

I have a sump pump in my basement. Can I discharge it into the sewer?
Sump pumps must be discharged outside the house into the yard. A bubble-up style fitting is typically used on the end, which allows the lid to pop open when the pump is on and pushing water out. The water may drain into the lawn or planting areas away from window wells and away from areas that may flood the building. The water may drain down driveways or into park-strips and over curbs in order to drain down gutters and into the storm drain. This is typically clean water that has been filtered through the soils, so it will not pollute our storm water.

RV Dump

The city offers an RV dump for common RV wastewater at no charge for our residents located 3061 South 2400 West.

Additional Useful Links

Utah DEQ Stormwater Permit

Davis County Home Page

Best Management Practice Database